As the team worked on their project, they encountered a number of challenges. These were in many ways unexpected and here are some of our reflections and what was learnt along the way.
COVID disruption to Phase 1 of project:
- Inability to meet face to face with children and young people to collect data for AI script
- Team redeployment/pressure on services resulting in less time being dedicated to the project
Challenges with AI feasibility / usability:
- AI specialists were unable to provide matched contribution originally agreed.
- Technology was unavailable to support ‘ideal’ components of the tool e.g Welsh language recognition, voice-activation, embedded media and graphics.
- Learning from adapting the way we were working to collect data virtually via electronic questionnaire, focus groups and interviews via MS Teams, and literature reviews – difficulty with engagement.
- Scaling back project and adjusting timelines for delivery of phases to what was achievable.
- Adjusting to this and assessing the availability of other developers that would meet the needs of the project.
- Modifying and redesigning scope of the first version of the tool to be a proof of concept for further development.