Fundamental to the Six Steps to Success palliative and end of life care education programme is evidence based practice and auditable quality improvement for care homes and home based care services. The training programme can take up to nine months to complete and is delivered by Six Steps facilitators who are competent in the Six Steps to Success programme and experienced in palliative, end of life care and bereavement support.
STEP 1: Discussions as the end of life approaches
STEP 2: Assessment, care planning and review
STEP 3: Co-ordination of Care
STEP 4: Delivery of high quality care in care homes
STEP 5: Care in the last days of life
STEP 6: Care after death
STEPPING OFF *
The criteria for a care home or home-based care team to join the Six Steps to Success programme:
- Commitment and support from the care organisation leads, managers and team.
- Support implementation of change to assessment and practice to ensure quality outcomes within the care environment.
- Commitment to attend all the training workshops (sessions online due to C-19) to become Six Steps to Success Champions in their care setting.
- Completion of portfolio to evidence the quality changes implemented by the Six Steps to Success Champions to become Six Steps to Success care providers.
What makes a difference?
- Sustainable support to the Six Steps to Success Champions and their care organisation.
- Facilitation of programme and team implementation of quality improvements.
- Promote equitable and consistent practice in palliative and end of life care.
- Stronger palliative and end of life care services partnerships developed between NHS, Social Care and Independent Sector.
- Increases knowledge, skills and confidence in palliative and end of life care.
Adjustments have been made to the delivery of the programme in response to COVID-19.
Highlights in Wales
The Six Steps to Success Programme provides a cost-effective and efficient method of disseminating best practice in palliative, end of life care and bereavement support.
There is a robust clinical governance system underpinning this project and this ensures quality and safety for the individual and their families.
Individuals have a say in their health care choices, allowing co-production and equality.
It is a great example of transformative power and how simple, low-cost innovations empowers health and care services to make real differences to individuals.