Palliative Radiotherapy Clinic has shown an improvement in the patient pathway by providing multi-professional review, rapid access to OP review and RT. This has been particularly relevant to new patients referred to VCC as we now have a rapid path for initial review and pall RT treatment which prior to this service in place did not exist.
Other potential benefits to this service include;
- Streamlined, clearer referral pathways – fewer emails/potential confusion over where a patient is going to be seen.
- Support around periods of leave.
- Support for medical oncology colleagues or those shielding/isolating.
- Indirectly supports other aspects of pall radiographer lead service – emergency RT planning/pall RT planning outside the clinic as the supervision, support etc that the clinic provides improves the quality of other radiographer lead planning.
- Has supported similar developments in the other cancer centres in Wales.
- Aligns with VCC strategic direction of blended, multi-professional workforce.
- Training experience – for radiographers and also for medical trainees
- Career progression opportunities
- Well suited to deliver some of the challenges of the new medical and clinical oncology curriculum which come in from August 2021
Over time, it is hoped that the clinic would not be a consultant led service but one that would be Radiographer lead however there is a need to invest in the development of this service and the associated roles to ensure a transition into this model and this could take a number of years.